Map of the Philippines with Agusan del Sur highlighted
|Region||Caraga (Region XIII)|
|Founded||June 17, 1967|
|• Type||Province of the Philippines|
|• Governor||Adolph Edward Plaza (National Unity)|
|• Vice Governor||Santiago Cane, Jr. (National Unity)|
|• Total||9,989.52 km2(3,856.98 sq mi)|
|Area rank||4th out of 81|
|• Rank||46th out of 81|
|• Density||66/km2 (170/sq mi)|
|• Density rank||76th out of 81|
|• Independent cities||0|
|• Component cities||1|
|• Districts||1st and 2nd districts of Agusan del Sur|
|Time zone||PHT (UTC+8)|
|ZIP code||8500 to 8513|
|ISO 3166 code||PH-AGS|
|Spoken languages||Cebuano, Surigaonon,Butuanon, Manobo,Tagalog, English|
Agusan del Sur is a landlocked province of the Philippines located in the Caraga region in Mindanao. Its capital is Prosperidad and borders, from the north clockwise, Agusan del Norte, Surigao del Sur, Davao Oriental, Compostela Valley, Davao del Norte, Bukidnon, andMisamis Oriental.
Agusan derived its name from the local dialect, "agasan", meaning "where the water flows", referring to the Agusan River that splits the land and meanders south to north in a 250 kilometres (160 mi) rush to Butuan Bay. It is third largest river in the country and served as highway for the Spanish colonizers in gaining access to inner northeastern Mindanao.
The Agusan Valley was settled by a variety of cultural communities like the Manobos, Mamanwas and Higaonons. Archeological excavations in the lower Agusan valley plains have uncovered evidence of strong relationships between the region and the Southeast Asian states. A golden image of Javan-Indian design unearthed in the 1920s and molten jars uncovered in Prosperidad are indications that the region had commercial and cultural ties with the coast.
The Augustinian Recollects established a mission in Linao, in the vicinity of present day Bunawan, in 1614. However, mission work was hampered by the hostility of the surrounding Manobo tribes. At the height of the power of the Sultanate of Maguindanao in the mid-17th century, the Manobos of the Agusan Valley were in alliance with Sultan Kudarat. Linao was attacked several times during the 1629 Caraga Revolt and the 1649 Sumuroy Revolt. Nevertheless, the Recollects were able to establish themselves in their mission work, and remained there until the middle of the 19th century.
In the late 19th century, the Recollects (under protest) turned over many of their mission territories, including those in the upper Agusan region, to the reconstituted Jesuit order (the Jesuits had been banned by Papal edict in the 1760s, and ejected from the Philippines in 1768). Missionary work was interrupted by the Philippine Revolution when the Jesuits either fled or were arrested by revolutionaries. During the American occupation, lumbering became an important activity in Agusan del Sur. Visayan migrants settled in the cleared plains, pushing indigenous communities farther into the mountainous slopes.
The territory of Agusan del Sur was governed as part of the province of Caraga during most of the Spanish period. In 1860, it was placed under the comandancia of Butuan, a district of the province of Surigao. In 1914, the province of Agusan was created by the American government.
In the Second World War, Japanese troops landed in the province of Agusan in 1942 and occupied the province until their defeat by combined U.S. and Philippine Commonwealth troops as well as recognized guerilla units in 1945 at the Battle of Agusan.
In 1945, Filipino soldiers of the 6th, 10th, 101st, 102nd, 103rd, 107th and 110th Infantry Division of the Philippine Commonwealth Army and the 10th Infantry Regiment of the Philippine Constabulary together with the recognized Agusan guerrilla fighter units against the Japanese forces beginning the liberation in Northern Agusan during World War II.
During World War II, a unit of the joint Philippine-American defense force were located at Manot, Talacogon, in the interior of the Agusan Valley.
The province of Agusan del Sur was born on June 17, 1967 under Republic Act No. 4969 providing for the division of the province of Agusan into Agusan del Norte and Agusan del Sur. In January 1970 the first set of provincial officials assumed office after the provincial election of November, 1969. The same law provided that the capital of Agusan del Sur be the municipality of Prosperidad. The Government Center has been set up in Barangay Patin-ay.
Rufino C. Otero was elected as the first Provincial Governor and Democrito O. Plaza the first Congressman in the election of November 1969. The term of office of Congressman Democrito O. Plaza would have continued until December 1973 had it not for the proclamation of Martial Law on September 21, 1972, which in effect abolished the Congress. When the Interim Batasang Pambansa was convened in 1978 after almost a decade of absence under the martial Law, Edelmiro Amante represented the province in the National Assembly.
The history of Agusan del Sur is essentially linked with that of its sister province, Agusan del Norte, for most of their historical existence, they were but one province under one governor or under one local civil government.
Agusans pre-Hispanic cultural history is traced back to the great influence of the Majapahit Empire through the discovery of an eight-inch (200 mm) tall image of a woman in pure gold at Maasam, Esperanza in 1917 and molten jars unearthed at Bah-bah, Prosperidad. The aborigines of Agusan del Sur are the ancestors of the present day Mamanwas, who were driven to the hinterlands by waves of Malay immigrants. These immigrants, in turn, sought the protection of the interior jungles because of the forays and the constant raids of "moro" pirates. The "moros" being seafaring people confined themselves to the coastal areas, where they started their settlements.
Agusan del Sur is subdivided into 13 municipalities and 1 city.
|Bayugan City||43||688.77||99,361||144.3||3rd class|
|La Paz||15||1481.12||28,562||19.3||1st class|
|San Francisco||27||392.53||70,986||180.8||1st class|
|San Luis||25||950.50||32,733||34.4||1st class|
|Santa Josefa||11||341.80||25,156||73.6||3rd class|
In 1976, the province's land area was 8,568 square kilometres, making it the seventh largest province in the country. After claiming the disputed boundary between Davao del Norte,Butuan City and with the creation of Sibagat, Agusan del Sur now has an area of 8966 km².
The municipalities of Loreto, La Paz, Esperanza, and San Luis are the four largest municipalities in land area comprising almost 60% of the province's total land area. Santa Josefa andTalacogon, also river towns, have the smallest land area.
Forestland constitutes 76% of the total land area or 6,827.5 km² while the alienable and disposable constitutes about 24% or 2,137.5 km². Present land use, however showed that settlements and commercial areas already occupy some of the forestlands.
Through the years, the province has lost so much of its forest resources because existing industries are extractive in nature.
Agusan del Sur is an elongated basin formation with mountain ranges in the eastern and western sides forming a valley, which occupies the central longitudinal section of the land. The Agusan River, which flows from Compostela Valley in the south towards Agusan del Norte in the north, runs almost in the middle of the valley and empties at Butuan Bay. The river has twelve tributaries: Wawa, Gibong and Simulao Rivers in the eastern side and Ojot, Pusilao, Kasilayan, Libang, Maasam, Adgawan, Cawayan, Umayam and Ihaon Rivers in the western side. These tributaries are fed by streams and creeks. The southern half of the province from the municipality of Veruela is an area filled with swamps and lakes, the biggest of which is Talacogon Lake.
Agusan del Sur has a labor force of 287,000 people, mostly in the agriculture and forestry sector. Several colleges, including a university, add to a well educated, highly trainable, English-speaking workforce. The province also keeps abreast of technological developments elsewhere, with some of these educational establishment offering skills development courses in Information Technology.
Rice occupies the largest cultivated area, with 243.85 square kilometres of irrigated area with a yield of 410 t/km², and rainfed rice with an area of about 165.73 km² with a yield of 300 t/km². The province's rice production has the estimated capacity to feed 1,072,456 people—far more than the provinces population. Ironically, rice insufficiency persists, especially in the upland and hard to reach barangays.
Corn plantations cover 255.25 km² for both white and yellow corn with a total production of 55,767 t in 2000 with surplus corn grits of 31,106 MT enough to feed more than 2 million people, four times greater than the province's population.
Banana is another abundant crop covering an area of 127.45 km² and could be seen everywhere but not in conventional plantation form. Banana chips are also processed in the province.
Oil palm plantation covers 118 km². The plantation is a Malaysian-Filipino joint venture, with agrarian reform beneficiaries as land owners. Crude oil is processed in the sites of Rosario, and Trento.
Coconut trees are widespread in the province, covering 393.36 km².
Despite the government's efforts to increase poultry and livestock production, deficits in meat supply persist. Processed poultry and beef are imported from Davao City and Cagayan de Oro City.
Agusan Marsh is one of the most ecologically significant wetlands in the Philippines. Found in the heart of Mindanao's Agusan Basin, this vast expanse of marsh covers an area roughly the size of Metro Manila. It contains nearly 15% of the nation's fresh water resources in the form of swamp forests.
During the rainy season, when the water rises to create large lakes, vast number of ducks come to Agusan Marsh to nest. In the dry months, thousands of birds come from as faraway as Japan, China and Russia to escape the chilly winter winds of Northern Asia. Over 200 individual species have been known to spend at least part of the year in the marsh, making it one of Asia's most important transit points for wild birds.
In the very heart of the marsh is a semi-permanent lake where many square kilometres of lily pads, hyacinths and other hydrophytic plants spread out like an enormous green quilt. In the dark tea-colored waters live untold numbers of catfish, carp, soft-shell fresh water turtles, and crocodiles.
Agusan Marsh is also host to "Wonderland", where you can see natural "bonsai" trees crafted by nature. It can be reached from Barangay Caimpogan or from Barangay New Visayas in the municipality of San Francisco.
The tiny community of mostly ethnic Manobos have made their permanent homes deep within the marsh, living on floating homes. The small houses made of bamboo and nipa lashed to hard wood logs, freely rise or fall with the level of the marsh itself. The marsh provides virtually everything the Manobos need.
The hidden treasure of Agusan del Sur, located in Brgy Mabuhay, Prosperidad, a haven for mountain trekkers, adventure lovers, environmentalists and bio-diversity researchers. You can find the Bega Falls by mountain or river trekking from the Baranggay proper. Once within the realm of the falls, the three-tiered main falls, twin falls, torqouise-green and pristine waters will surely sooth your weary soul. Press onto the whole length of the river channel and you will be lured into the exotic enchantment of jungle paradise. And be sure to know your numbers because you will not be counting only one falls but 18 falls, plus the lagoons, cascades, wild flora and fauna, hardwoods and exotic birds, all cradled by a single channel of the river Bega.
The Gibong River is a stretch of water with a view of unharmed vegetation in its banks. The river is the only gateway to Binaba Falls. It is also the source of water supply irrigating some 60 square kilometres of rice fields of three municipalities in the province.
The Binaba Falls is situated in the heart of a jungle-like foot of the mountain, with clear waters emitting from the springs, cascading onto boulders of limestone. The falls offer a very refreshing bath after a fifteen-minutes ride on a motor-banca from the mini wharf of Prosperidad town passing along the Gibong River.But the previous municipal administration introduced tourism development related project which damages the topography and altered the landscape.Gone were the cascades that was replaced by a concrete steps leading to swimming pool on a narrow ridge. The need to increase the town's water supply also led to the construction of concrete reservoires adding destruction to the natural landscape.
The name derived from the word "Tugon" meaning a promise, Tugonan waterfalls in Barangay San Lorenzo of Prosperidad Town offers a natural wonder where one will surely promise to come back after a visit. The towering trees on its vicinity with wild ornamental plants and orchids hanging on branches, one could have dreamed having gone to paradise.