The City of Lapu-Lapu (Cebuano: Dakbayan sa Lapu-Lapu, Tagalog: Lungsod ng Lapu-Lapu, formerly called Opon) is a first class highly urbanized city in thePhilippines. It is geographically located in the province of Cebu, but administered independently from the province. It is part of the Cebu Metropolitan Area. According to the 2010 census, it has a population of 350,467 people.
The city occupies most of Mactan Island, a few kilometer off the main island of Cebuand also covers the Olango Island Group further to the southeast, plus a few other islets. The city is linked to Mandaue City on mainland Cebu by the Mactan-Mandaue Bridge and Marcelo Fernan Bridge. Mactan-Cebu International Airport, the second busiest airport in the Philippines, is located in Lapu-Lapu City.
In the 16th century Mactan Island was colonized by Spain. Augustinian friars founded the town of Opon in 1730 and became a city in 1961. It was renamed after Datu Lapu-Lapu, the island's chieftain who defeated Portuguese explorer Ferdinand Magellan in 1521 in the Battle of Mactan, commemorated at the Lapu-Lapu shrine in Barangay Mactan.
Politician Manuel A. Zosa, the representative of the Sixth District of Cebu, sponsored the Bill converting the former municipality of Opon into the present day City of Lapu-Lapu. This was the Republic Act 3134, known as the City Charter of Lapu-Lapu which was signed on June 17, 1961 by former Philippine President Carlos P. Garcia.