The municipality of Medellin is one of the nine municipalities comprising the 4th Congressional District of Cebu Province. It is approximately 120 kilometres (75 mi) north from Cebu City via Barangay Curva and 113 kilometres (70 mi) via barangay Luy-a. The town is bounded on the north by the municipality of DaanBantayan; on the south by the municipality of San Remigio and city of Bogo; on the east by the Camotes Sea and on the west by the Tañon Strait.
The municipality is geographically situated between coordinates 123° 52” and 123° 59” latitudes and 11° 12” and 11° 10” longitudes. Based on cadastral survey, the municipality of Medellin has a total land area of 7,382.33 hectares covering 19 barangays.
The name Medellin is of Spanish origin which can be traced to a city with the same name in the province of Bajadoz, in the Extremadura Region in Spain. As a historical background, Medellin became a municipality by virtue of a royal decree promulgated by Queen Isabel of Spain on September 9, 1881.
Medellin was formerly part of the town of Daanbantayan. As a town, it started with 3 barangays only, namely; Kawit and Buenavista in the west coast, and Tindog in the east coast. Kawit, being the biggest and progressive barangay at that time, became the first seat of government. But because of its deep shore water, the area was prone to pirates. As a consequence, the seat of government was then transferred to Buenavista (Daanlungsod). However, in view of its shallow shore water, traders and merchants found it difficult in transporting their goods to and from Buenavista. A distance away south of Buenavista, there was a place called Tawagan which was later found out as the projected and ideal site for trade and commerce. When the seat of government was transferred to Tawagan, the new Poblacion was then called Medellin.