Pasig, officially the City of Pasig (Filipino: Lungsod ng Pasig) is one of the highly urbanized cities of Metro Manila in the Philippines and was the former capital of the province of Rizal prior to the formation the National Capital Region. Located along the eastern border ofMetro Manila, Pasig is bordered on the west by Quezon City and Mandaluyong; to the north by Marikina; to the south by Makati, Pateros, and Taguig; and to the east by Antipolo, the municipality of Cainta and Taytay in the province of Rizal.
A formerly rural settlement, Pasig is primarily residentialand industrial, but has been becoming increasinglycommercial in recent years, particularly after the construction of the Ortigas Center business district in its east. The city is also the see of the Roman CatholicDiocese of Pasig, making its cathedral (formerly the Immaculate Conception Cathedral) a landmark built around the same time as the town's foundation in 1573.
- Immaculate Conception Cathedral - Also known as the Pasig Cathedral. It is the oldest edifice within Pasig built in 1575. The present church was which was built between 1722-1760 and this is considered as the first Marian Parish in the Philippines.
- Beaterio de Pasig and chapel - Located alongside the Colegio del Buen Consejo is the remnants of the old chapel of the Beaterio de Santa Rita, popularly called Beaterio de Pasig. The beaterio was established in 1740 by Fr. Felix Trillo, OSA using funds from the Augustinian Order and aided by theMarquis de Monte Castro, Don Pedro de Quijano of Manila. It was initially called Beaterio de Nuestra Señora de la Consolacion but was later changed to Beaterio de Santa Rita in memory of benefactress and wife of Don Pedro, Doña Rita. Afterwards, it was called Beaterio of Our Lady of Buen Consejo. During the British invasion of 1762, the beaterio became a stronghold for roughly 2 000 Tagalogs under the leadership of Fr. Juan Bernaola. The resistance did not last long and the British soldiers settled in the convent for two years. The chapel, on the other hand, was built in 1790 by Fr. Santos Gomez Mara ñon while he was still priest of the church of Pasig (now the Pasig Cathedral ). The chapel was heavily damaged by an earthquake in 1880. It underwent total renovation in the 1960s, replacing the original wooden retablo with a modern one. The ceiling and walls were also reconstructed. As of today, only the façade of the original chapel remains. In memory of the building, a marker bearing a brief narration of its history was placed at the chapel’s façade in 1937 by the Philippine Historical Research and Markers Committee, precursor of the National Historical Commission of the Philippines. The façade of the old chapel is simple, and ornamented with only four Tuscan columns rising from the base of the facade to support the triangular pediment. The cornice is also decorated with triglyphs. It mimics the silhouette of the nearby church of Pasig.
- Bahay na Tisa - Owned by 7 generations of Tech Family up to present. It is built by Don Cecilio Tech y Cabrera in the early 1850s and used as venue for meetings during the Martial Law being called as the Freedom House during that time. Even become an unofficial San Jose Barangay Headquarters. It also houses the Santo Nino de Pasion which sick people visited and received Holy Communion every Easter Sunday. The house is built in adobe stone supporting the hardwood material on the second floor. The roofing used to be a Tisa before it was replaced by Asbestos due to damages causes by War. This is declared as the oldest Bahay na Bato in Pasig City.
- Cuartel Del Guardia Civil - Also known as the Guanio Residence. It was built in 1881 by Don Apolonio Santiago y Domingo before it was converted to a prison for captive katipuneros. This was acquired by Engr. & Mrs. Domingo Guanio.
- Pasig City Museum - It was formerly know as the Concepcion Mansion as it was built by Don Fortunato Concepcion in 1937. It was used during the Japanese war as headquarters of Japanese and this is where the Americans hoisted the American Flag as a sign of freedom from Japan. In 1980, the City of Pasig acquired the house from Dr. Jose Concepcion, heir of Don Cecilio Concepcion and was converted as the official museum of the city. It went rehabilitation and restoration in 2008. It is considered as one of the best local historical museum in the Philippines.
Cuartel Del Guardia Civil
Facade of the Beaterio de Pasig
Welcome to Wowcity fellow Filipinos!
The Philippine Wowcity is a web-based platform for local business search, ideas and expression, a resource of opportunities, and a network of inspirational young people and their projects.
2,824 members from Philippines
305 members visited Philippines
32 members online from Philippines