Tuguegarao is the capital city of the province ofCagayan, Philippines. It is located on a peninsulasurrounded by the Cagayan and Pinacanauan Rivers. The Pinacanauan joins the Cagayan River in Tuguegarao. The city is surrounded by the Sierra Madre Mountains to the east, Cordillera Mountains to the west, and the Caraballo Mountains to the south. It is one of the settlements on the southern border of the province.
The population of the city as of the May 1, 2010 census is 138,865 people. Most inhabitants are Ibanag,Ilokano, Tagalog, Itawes and Kapamapangan among others. Some are of Chinese and Indian descent.
The highest temperature in the Philippines was recorded in Tuguegarao on April 29, 1912, and May 11, 1969, at 42.2 °C (108.0 °F). Average temperature during March and April is 38 °C (100 °F), one of the highest in the country.
- Pav-vurulun Festival is a week long celebration that usually ends on August 16 annually. Pav-vurulun is an Ibanag word which means get-together or a sense of belonging. It is in this context that the city annually celebrates its patronal fiesta in honor of St. Hyacinth, the patron saint of the city. It gathers Tuguegaraoeños to a week long festivities culminating with a mass and procession of the patron saint on August 16. The week long celebration is a festival of activities marked by parades, beauty contests, Pancit Batil-Patung eating contest, street dancing competition, music festival, sports fest, and trade fairs among others.
Places of interest
- Buntun Bridge is one of the longest bridges in the country at 1.124 kilometers (0.698 mi). It is 2.5 kilometers (1.6 mi) from the city proper and offers an unobstructed view of the Cagayan River.
Saint Peter Metropolitan Church
- Sts. Peter and Paul Metropolitan Cathedral is the seat of theArchdiocese of Tuguegarao. The Diocese of Tuguegarao was erected on April 10, 1910. Pope Paul VI elevated the Diocese of Tuguegarao into an Archdiocese on September 21, 1974. The church with the belfry is the biggest Spanish colonial church in Cagayan Valley built by the Dominicans who came to evangelize Cagayan Valley. It was constructed from January 17, 1761 to 1767 under the supervision of Fr. Antonio Lobato,O.P.. The cathedral suffered massive destruction in World War II losing its pipe organ, three wooden retablos, pulpit, wooden choir loft and the painted wooden ceiling all of which were from the early 18th century. The old convent adjacent to the cathedral church was also razed to the ground during the war and was demolished to make way for a new one. The complex was rebuilt by Msgr. Bishop Constance Jurgens who is now entombed inside the church. The Cathedral is also said to be one of the beautiful structures that stood in the land and because of that impression, its portrait can also be seen in Vatican City. The traditional ringing of the cathedral bells for the Angelus and during Mass is still being practiced today.
- St. Hyacinth Church (San Jacinto Church) or the Ermita de Piedra de San Jacinto (Stone Chapel of San Jacinto) is an elevated historic chapel established in 1604, 100 years older than the Sts. Peter and Paul Cathedral. American soldiers during the Philippine-American War used it as headquarters in 1899. St Hyacinth is the patron saint of the city whose feast is celebrated every August 15 coinciding with the Pav-vurulun Festival. The oldest brick structure in the city is the first parochial building built by the Dominican fathers in Tuguegarao. The current structure is the latest in a process of rebuilding beginning in 1724, in 1892 after it was destroyed by an earthquake and reconstruction after World War II. The chapel was not heavily damaged during the war and as a result retains its original wooden retablo which dates back to the 18th century.
- Cagayan Provincial Museum and Historical Research Center is located at the provincial capitol complex. It was conceived by the Provincial Board in 1971 and became operational on its inauguration on August 15, 1973 during the traditional Aggao na Cagayan. It is a general museum that houses an extensive collection of artifacts, antiques, ethnography, trade wares, heirloom pieces and liturgical works of the province and fossils of animals that once roamed the valley. The museum houses extensive data on the discovery of Callao Man by the National Museum of the Philippines. The center is only 5 km (3.1 mi) from Tuguegarao.
- St. Paul University Philippines is located along Mabini Street. It was founded by the Sisters of St. Paul of Chartres in 1907, who came to Cagayan upon the invitation of Bishop Dennis Dougherty. The school had its operation in a Spanish Convento, adjoining the Cathedral of Tuguegarao. The institution transferred to its present location in 1934 after it was acquired from the Dominican Order. The entire building complex became hospital and garrison of the Japanese forces during World War II and was bombed by the Americans during the liberation in 1945. The institution became the first Catholic University in Region II in 1982 and the first Private Catholic University in Asia and the Philippines to be granted ISO 9001 Certification by TUV Rheinland in 2000.
Hotel Delfino siege
The Hotel Delfino siege was a bloody coup attempt that happened on March 4, 1990, when suspended Cagayan governor Rodolfo "Agi" Aguinaldo and his armed men of 200 seized Hotel Delfino in Tuguegarao. Brigader General Oscar Florendo, his driver and four members of the civilian staff, and several other people were held hostage for several hours. A gunfight was launched to kill Aguinaldo and his men but one of the suspended governor's men was found dead in a checkpoint shootout, Brig. Gen. Florendo and 12 others were also dead and 10 more wounded. Aguinaldo was slightly wounded in a car gunfight but eventually escaped and hid into the mountains.